Are you searching for a great topic for your psychology paper? Sometimes it seems like coming up with a good idea for a paper is more challenging than the actual research and writing. Fortunately, there are plenty of great places to find inspiration and the following list contains just a few ideas to help get you started.
Finding a solid topic is one of the most important steps when writing any type of paper. It can be particularly important when you are writing a psychology research paper or essay. Psychology is such a broad topic, so you want to find a topic that allows you to adequately cover the subject without becoming overwhelmed with information.
As you begin your search for a topic for your psychology paper, it is first important to consider the guidelines established by your instructor. In some cases, such as in a general psychology class, you might have had the option to select any topic from within psychology's broad reaches. Other instances, such as in an abnormal psychology course, might require you to write your paper on a specific subject such as a psychological disorder.
Focus on a Topic Within a Particular Branch of Psychology
The key to selecting a good topic for your psychology paper is to select something that is narrow enough to allow you to really focus on the subject, but not so narrow that it is difficult to find sources or information to write about.
One approach is to narrow your focus down to a subject within a specific branch of psychology. For example, you might start by deciding that you want to write a paper on some sort of social psychology topic. Next, you might narrow your focus down to how persuasion can be used to influence behavior.
Other social psychology topics you might consider include:
Write About a Disorder or Type of Therapy
Exploring a psychological disorder or a specific treatment modality can also be a good topic for a psychology paper. Some potential abnormal psychology topics include specific psychological disorders or particular treatment modalities, including:
Choose a Topic Related to Human Cognition
Some of the possible topics you might explore in this area include thinking, language, intelligence, and decision-making. Other ideas might include:
Consider a Topic Related to Human Development
In this area, you might opt to focus on issues pertinent to early childhood such as language development, social learning, or childhood attachment or you might instead opt to concentrate on issues that affect older adults such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
Some other topics you might consider include:
Critique a Book or Academic Journal Article
One option is to consider writing a psychology critique paper of a published psychology book or academic journal article. For example, you might write a critical analysis of Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams or you might evaluate a more recent book such as Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil.
Professional and academic journals are also a great place to find materials for a critique paper. Browse through the collection at your university library to find titles devoted to the subject that you are most interested in, then look through recent articles until you find what that grabs your attention.
Analyze a Famous Experiment
There have been many fascinating and groundbreaking experiments throughout the history of psychology, providing ample material for students looking for an interesting term paper topic. In your paper, you might choose to summarize the experiment, analyze the ethics of the research, or evaluate the implications of the study. Possible experiments that you might consider include:
Write a Paper About a Historical Figure
One of the simplest ways to find a great topic is to choose an interesting person in the history of psychology and write a paper about them. Your paper might focus on many different elements of the individual's life, such as their biography, professional history, theories, or influence on psychology.
While this type of paper may be historical in nature, there is no need for this assignment to be dry or boring. Psychology is full of fascinating figures rife with intriguing stories and anecdotes. Consider such famous individuals as Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, Harry Harlow, or one of the many other eminent psychologists.
Write About a Specific Psychology Career
Another possible topic, depending on the course in which you are enrolled, is to write about specific career paths within the field of psychology. This type of paper is especially appropriate if you are exploring different subtopics or considering which area interests you the most. In your paper, you might opt to explore the typical duties of a psychologist, how much people working in these fields typically earn, and different employment options that are available.
Create a Case Study of an Individual or Group of People
One potentially interesting idea is to write a psychology case study of a particular individual or group of people. In this type of paper, you will provide an in depth analysis of your subject, including a thorough biography. Generally, you will also assess the person, often using a major psychological theory such as Piaget's stages of cognitive development or Erikson's eight-stage theory of human development. It is also important to note that your paper doesn't necessarily have to be about someone you know personally. In fact, many professors encourage students to write case studies on historical figures or fictional characters from books, television programs, or films.
Conduct a Literature Review
Are you looking for good psychology papers topics? Look through the list of our ideas and find really good topic for your academic paper. Starting your search of subjects, take into consideration your supervisor’s guidelines. Talking about general psychology, you can choose the topic from the whole course. In some other cases, for example abnormal psychology, you can be assigned to write academic paper, concerning specific subject – psychological disorder, etc.
General Psychology Papers Topics
General psychology is a wide sphere of knowledge and the writer has a great opportunity to choose among the great selection of ideas. Picking up psychology papers topics, it is necessary to pay attention to some general idea and then narrow it down. Some of the most common ideas include:
- Albert Bandura’s social cognitive theory and its observational learning. (check here: AP Psychology Paper Sample: Albert Bandura)
- Psychology of games: What is the secret of the popularity of Pokemon Go? (check here: Psychology Papers: The One about Pokémon Go)
- Psychological manipulation of consciousness and methods of protection. (check here: Advertising Essay Sample: People’s Psychology Manipulation)
- Psychological features of professional restaurant business work. (check here: Psychology Paper Sample: Restaurants)
- Protective methods in psychodiagnostic testing: Hand Test, Rorschach test and Lüscher color test. (check here: Psychology Essay: The Rorschach Test)
- Experiment as a method of psychological research and its ethical problems. (check here: Psychology Essay Example: Failed Experiments)
- Compulsive buying disorder: The psychology of sales. (check here: Psychology Behind Love For The Black Friday)
- Psychology of needs: How does Maslow’s Pyramid works? (check here: Psychology Essay Sample: Maslow’s Concept)
- Contradictions of the Muslim religion and classical psychology. (check here: College Essay Samples: The One about Muslim Students)
- The dark side of human personality and its measures. (check here: Sample Essay Writing: Dark Personality)
Abnormal Psychology Papers Topics
The abnormal psychology itself deals with abnormal behavior and other disorders and academic papers topics on psychology usually deal with them and their treatment. For example:
- The diagnosis of attention in children with disabilities.
- Mechanisms of psychological protection of drug addicts and their relationship with personality traits.
- Pathological study of cognitive processes in organic brain lesions.
- Methods of diagnosis of specific personality disorders among young people.
- Psychological model of social anxiety disorder. Diagnosis and treatment.
- Violation of the basic components of cognitive activity in young men and women with schizophrenic disorders.
- Features of the course of circular depressions in patients with concomitant personality disorder.
- Depressive disorder with generalized anxiety. Diagnosis and treatment.
- The influence of hereditary factors in the formation of depressive disorders in children and adolescents.
- Clinical features of a recurrent depressive disorder in the cases of multiple sclerosis.
- Differential diagnosis and treatment of depressive disorders in women during menopause.
- Factors influencing the clinic and treating depressive disorders.
- Theoretical analysis of the mechanisms of the emotional Stroop effect.
- Perfectionism and satisfaction with body image in the personality structure of patients with eating disorders and alimentary obesity.
- The use of group art therapy in the complex hospital treatment of patients suffering from severe mental disorders.
- System of psychotherapy for family disadaptation in men and women with personality disorders.
- Approaches to complex therapy of panic disorder. Treatment options.
- Personal features in the mechanisms of the pathogenesis of a panic disorder.
- The occurrence of nocturnal panic attacks and their connection with depressive disorders.
- Psychological protection in children of mothers with personality disorders.
Developmental Psychology Papers Topics
This field of psychology deals with the lifespan of the person, so there is no need to worry about the variety of topics. Just make sure yourself:
- Determination of levels of understanding of the child on the experiments connected with the Piaget phenomenon.
- Development of reflective judgment and moral judgment.
- Role games as a means of developing psychological competence in adolescence.
- Diagnosis of child giftedness in early ontogeny.
- Analysis of reasons why children are fighting.
- The concept of aggression and the causes of its manifestation in children.
- Development of self-confidence in middle childhood (from 7 to 11 years).
- History and causes of dyslexia. A review of various modern methods of diagnosis and correction of dyslexia.
- The psychological status of a person subjected to abuse in the family.
- Prevention of child suicides and their relationship to family conflicts.
- Peculiarities of personal development and aggressive behavior of adolescent boys from single-parent families.
- Personal determinants of parenthood: paternity and masculinity.
- Gender roles: positive and negative impact on family relationships.
- How the roles of men and women have changed in society.
- Influence of mass media on the formation of the child’s personality.
- Features of mental and psychosexual development of persons who have experienced sexual violence.
- Psychological features that precede the formation of homosexuality.
- Moral development stages. Heinz’s Dilemma “Greedy Apothecary” or “Hack a Pharmacy?”
- Personal and social-emotional development in late adulthood (old age).
- Behavioral and emotional characteristics of adolescents from divorced families.
Cognitive Psychology Papers Topics
Among the most recommended cognitive psychology papers topics are:
- Cognitive psychology of coping with loneliness.
- Comparison of early Buddhism and concepts of cognitive psychology.
- Cognitive styles and impulsivity among gamers with different levels of gaming activity.
- Social expectations for gifted children from the standpoint of cognitive psychology.
- Manifestation of the cognitive unconscious in the phenomenon of overconfidence.
- Behavioral and cognitive impact of the media on adolescents.
- The influence of music on the cognitive development of children of primary school age.
- Art-therapeutic methods and techniques in socio-psychological training.
- Emotional responsiveness: content and methods of development.
- The natural and social components of empathy and altruism.
- The diagnostic and therapeutic importance of medical empathy in psychiatry.
- Features of cognitive development of preschool children.
- The role of attention in the development of cognitive processes.
- Influence of power loads of different directions on the properties of short-term memory.
- Psychology of metacognitive processes of personality and its intricate relation with cognition.
- Psychological mechanisms of the “Deja vu” effect.
- Mental images of higher orders: the word as sounding and as meaning.
- Paramnesia: Cryptomnesia, false memory syndrome and confabulation.
- Cognitive psychology: the theory of the dual process of thinking.
- Psychology of decision making, or how we make choices.
Now, you can see there is no need to worry about psychology papers topics, as their variety is great. Writers can choose something really interesting to write about, according to their tastes and preferences.
Psychology Papers Topics: Help
Are you looking for psychology papers help and don’t know what to start with? We can help you. All you have to do, just to place an order on EssayShark.com and within the particular deadline term you’ll receive high-quality academic paper for reasonable price. Thousands of customers place orders every year and are completely satisfied with the company’s service.
Wondering if we can write a psychology essay? Of course, we can! Experienced writers can do anything you ask them to, no matter whether it is a paper, book or movie review or even a lab report! Just tell them your topic, discipline and your professor’s requirements and you will get what you need within the given deadline. Submit your application form to EssayShark.com indicating that you need a high quality psychology essay and wait until someone contact you to discuss the details of your order.